Join NairaMan / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,218 members, 5,852 topics. Date: January 18, 2018, 5:05 pm
NairaMan Forum / Computers / Safety in the Cyber World: Tips for Online Transactions (1 Post | 1,061 Views)
Safety in the Cyber World: Tips for Online Transactions by tolulopehnn(: 10:04 am On Aug 04, 2016
Technology is changing the way everything works and the world is getting a lot easier to live in. for example, twenty years ago, one had to go to a phone booth, buy a call card and then try to contact people while enduring a bad connection- but now, anyone can call any country at any time of the day and in any location. Advancements in technology have made it easy for us to keep in touch, facilitate effortless transactions, pay bills and make money. More and more people are joining the bandwagon of virtual payments and online business transactions- this is a development that is welcome but also has its downsides. More people using online channels has opened a new world of cybercrime and internet fraud; not knowing how to conduct safe transactions online has caused a lot of people to expose themselves and lose money. Below are a few tips to ensure that you stay safe and secure while doing business online.
• Always do your research before doing a transaction. Know when the website was opened, read reviews and write-ups about the site and if you are still in doubt, try to contact the site themselves to see the kind of response you would get.
• Do NOT use your debit card to conduct transactions because it is easy to h*ck them. Credit cards have a better security encryption on them, so they are more advisable to use online
• Do not be too trusting with your details. If you are being asked for details that are too personal like your online banking ID and password or your date of birth, it’s better to exit such a page because it might the work of fraudsters.
• Do not conduct transactions in public. Anyone could be reading your passwords over your shoulder, so be sure to conduct business in places you can trust. Also, avoid doing transactions when connected to an open Wi-Fi network as anyone can h*ck into your network from there.
• Change passwords regularly and monitor your online activity to make sure nobody is doing anything on your accounts.
• Check your bank statements regularly to make sure there is no shady transaction or suspicious removal of money.
Whether you are shopping for a cute pair of shoes, booking a hotel (through secure sites like www.hotelnownow.com of course) or paying fees, remember to apply all these tips so that “yahoo-yahoo” and “419” people don’t get hold of your money
CASHCRAWLERS.COM NIGERIAN BIGGEST ONLINE WORK FROM HOME PLATFORM / FREE GUIDE ON MAKING FREE CALLS, SURFING FOR FREE, MAKE MONEY ONLINE ETC / Mark Zuckerbergs Facebook page was hacked by an unemployed Web developer /
Viewing this topic: 1 guest viewing this topic
|NairaMan - Copyright © 2012 - 2015 John Onam. All rights reserved. See NairaMan and NairaBlog|
Disclaimer: Every NairaMan member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on NairaMan.